Consider choosing a specialty fine art packer and shipper with a solid reputation and experience in handling high-valued objects. Referrals can be obtained through professionals such as your independent insurance agent, conservators, auction houses, dealers, museums or other collectors. Proper packing and shipping is the best way to ensure the safety of your collection:
- create an inventory of the items to be shipped, and provide a copy to the shipper and person who will receive the shipment.
- determine what the appropriate packing materials are. This usually depends on the type of item to be shipped and the duration of the shipment.
- avoid local moving companies or common carriers. They are not experienced in handling high-valued items.
- create a condition report of the items prior to packing and immediately upon its arrival. If you find any damage, this will allow you to know when it occurred.
- use vehicles that are climate controlled, equipped with GPS, alarms and air-ride suspension.
- confirm if third-party shippers or other subcontractors will be involved in shipping. If so, make sure the third party has the same standards and procedures in place.
- use companies that have dual drivers for each vehicle.